photo AllZeDetails_navabout.png photo AllZeDetails_navfashion.png photo AllZeDetails_navslients.png photo AllZeDetails_navpress.png photo AllZeDetails_navcontact.png photo AllZeDetails_navshop.png

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Artist Spotlight | Soy Street, Home Is Where The Art Is



I came across Soy Street via instagram, and absolutely fell in love with Artist Cai hailing from Sydney Australia. Her art pulled my eyes to her instagram and I fell in love with the attention to detail, high fashion, and the way she portrays models and fashion through the storytelling of art - I instantly had to follow her work. 

Talent behind the hand that illustrates is Cai, known for her captivating work depicting and featuring Dior, CHANEL, Montblanc, Prada and Tiffany & Co; she has been recognized by celebrities and fashion influencers Bambi Northwood-Blyth, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, Marni x Marni, Aimee Song, and Jena Atkin. Her work is not yet a household name, but in the future I do not doubt that it will be - as her work is iconic and will hold a place in the fashion industry if not featured in magazines in the future. Her work is definitely on my radar - and soon to be a household name. 

I had the opportunity to interview the artist to look further into her inspiration, workspace, and what a day looks like at Soy Street. 

What is Soy Street known for? 

I am an illustrator based primarily in Sydney, Australia. I am known for drawing fashion, and women in fashion. The people in my work look serious but the way that I draw them is the complete opposite, it's spontaneous and relaxed. My illustration pieces are recognized as being perfectly imperfect as it typically features lines and smudges creating a truly unique piece every time. 

What inspired you to start doing fashion illustration? 

I love drawing fashion that has strong silhouettes and empowering sensuality.

What is your studio space like, and what inspires you in the space when you start illustrating? 

I don’t really have a formal studio space. I tend to work anywhere and everywhere - it ranges from on the train, in the park, in bed, in a café, and of course in my favourite arm chair. 


@soystreet illustrating mid-flight 


What are you currently doing to pass the time in quarantine? (Love watching your Instagram stories of you skate boarding, and paddle boarding)

I've got back into cycling and loving it. I'm getting longer sessions in working my way up to 100km a week. I also picked up paddle boarding - thought it was a pretty safe way to social distance but also get a decent workout.

What is currently on your playlist?

Got these guys on repeat at the moment 

Top sites that you recommend others see when traveling to Sydney? 

Broadsheet and Timeout Sydney are good places to start for taking in Sydney.

Have you always been interested in fashion?

I’ve been drawing based off of magazine pictures since I was a kid but never really pursued drawing until about 2 years ago. On the other hand I got thrown into the deep end with fashion photography when I attended my first fashion week back in 2012. The experience really opened my eyes to fashion. For a while there I was building a name for myself as a photographer, but one year I decided to whip out my iPad and draw something as well. Since then I've been both photographing and illustrating backstage for designers.

What designers inspire you most to illustrate? What are your favorite illustrations? Do you see something that is incredible that typically makes you want to race to your drawing board – and has that happened before?

Yes that happens quite often actually! I might just be browsing and then suddenly want to draw (sometimes to my detriment without considering my other commitments). I am constantly looking through vintage Dior and Saint Laurent to find inspo. I love the mod and beatnik era in fashion. I'm also a huge fan of Aussie designer Dion Lee who is subverting the traditional ideas of masculinity and femininity.

Do you pull inspiration from anything other than fashion?

If it's not fashion, its probably a design or architecture magazine. 

What is your ideal dream job? Where do you see yourself within the next 5 years?

I want to illustrate with Prada or Balenciaga. It's a pretty big dream but I have learned that if you work hard a lot is obtainable! I also see myself having expanded on illustration and hopefully running workshops teaching and sharing my skills. 

Would you be delighted to see your illustrations used for Dior, or Chanel, or featured in a fashion magazine? I envision your illustrations being featured on a perfume ad, or featured in VOGUE – I don’t think you’re far off from having this actually happen.

Yes that would be such a dream! 

What other fun things can we expect to see from Soy Street forthcoming?

I have been working on transferring my illustrations beyond the digital or making paper-based prints and trying something new like skateboards. I estimate I will be offering customised skateboard designs in the upcoming months. 

Did you enjoy illustrating an 18th century dress inspired by Dior, designed by Terry Dresbach? I love Outlander, thank you for illustrating the illustrious Claire Fraser, played by Caitriona Balfe. 

I was immediately drawn to the gorgeous 18th century dress from Outlander and knew I needed to draw Claire. I just added a little limited edition Outlander series to my online shop that features the outfit from head to toe. 

-----
With my love of Fashion & Outlander I wanted to introduce to you 3 limited edition illustrations available from Soy Street. 





I absolutely love Outlander and the heroine behind the series, Claire Fraser. I admire Terry Dresbach, the costume designer of Outlander for bringing the characters to life, through costume. Their personalities depicted from the elements of their wardrobe, speaking through the fabrics and details added to the costumes. When Cai and I started talking about doing a feature - I sent her over some of Claire's costume design from Paris. As soon as Cai saw the red dress inspired by Dior - these creations came to life, 3 limited edition prints are available on Soy Street's website and beautifully done - I can not choose one favorite. All would be beautiful to display as a collage for anyone that loves the red Paris dress as much as I do. I always love listening to the story of how Terry came up with the idea of the shoes - and how she thought it was a shame of how long the hem lengths were, because of the attention to details to the shoes and how she wishes the shoes were shown off a little more. With this art I can stare at the shoes all day. Who else loved the shoes from season 2 of Outlander? 

Other favorite personal pieces of Cai's are displayed below, also available in the Soy Street shop. 


Illustration of Bella and Gigi Hadid at the VMA courtesy of @soystreet

From the Romance Was Born Runway courtesy of @soystreet

Xia Yin illustration courtesy of @soystreet 

My personal favourite The Spice Girls courtesy of @soystreet


Follow Soy Street on Instagram

Original feature and Interview by Haili Pue, All Ze Details. 
Original Art Work courtesy of Cai, Soy Street. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kiki and co. creative